World mental health week took place in October 2014. To highlight this awareness week, Shine mental health organisation kindly agreed to carry out their Taking Control Workshop with residents of Lus Leana and Baile an Choiste in Galway City.
Karen Boylan facilitated the workshop and conveyed to Respond residents that the knowledge and skills to cope with tough times and everyday stresses are within each one of us. This workshop identifies these tools and helps draw them out to support us in these tough situations. It also showed that stress is needed in our lives but it’s important to manage it appropriately and to know when it’s affecting our lives.
The parents really enjoyed the workshop and have decided to meet every Wednesday at 11am in the community building in Lus Leana, Headford Road as a continuation from that workshop. All parents are welcome to join us on Wednesdays.
The Taking Control workshop is about learning practical ways to face life challenges, maintaining and taking control of your physical and mental wellbeing and setting goals and planning for a hopeful future.
The workshop’s aims are as follows;
- To build resilience in the face of life challenges and setbacks.
- To enhance coping skills, especially pre existing ones.
- To build and support self esteem and confidence.
After participating, people will:
- Be aware of positive factors in their lives.
- List positive skills and knowledge they bring forward with them.
- Recognise the physical, mental and emotional effect of stressors.
- Have action plans to safe guard against these stressors.
- Be aware of opportunities and avenues open to them.
- Identify professional supports available to them.
- Have set goals and have created an action plan around these.
This workshop was run in conjunction with Shine and supported by the HSE
For more information on the Wednesday group, further workshops and programmes or any queries about Family support please contact family support worker for Galyway estates, Jillian Gillick on 0872671634
Updated : October 2014