Frequently Asked Questions

Applying for a Respond home

To apply for a Respond home, you must already be deemed by your Local Authority to be eligible for social housing support. If this applies to you, simply fill in an application form (link to application form) and return it to your local office. A member of our staff will then contact you.
All applicants for a Respond home must be over aged 18 years or over.
Applicants will be assessed by Respond Personnel as vacancies arise.  Allocations are made in accordance with the Social Housing Assessment Regulations taking into account Respond’s Community Based Lettings Policy.  Allocations are made in full consultation with the relevant Local Authority, prioritising applicants in accordance with the Council’s Allocation Scheme and in the interest of good estate management.


Your rent for the year 2 July 2018 to 30 June 2019 is calculated based on the net income of the household plus a charge for additional adults (subsidiary earners) residing in the house.

Net income is wages received after taxes (PAYE, PRSI, USC), plus any payments from the HSE or Department of Social Welfare (except for Child Benefit and listed disregards) plus any other income e.g.  work pension, maintenance payments received from 1 January to 31 December of the preceding year.

Household income is the total income of all persons aged 18 years or over residing in the home, who is not a child of the Tenant or the Joint Tenant or the Spouse of the Tenant or the Partner of the Tenant.

Income from the following sources is disregarded:
Children’s Allowances, Scholarships / Higher Education Grants or payments to students attending an outreach programme, Fuel Allowance, Living Alone Allowance, “Half-Rate” Carer’s Allowance, Domiciliary Care Allowance, Foster Care Allowance.

Income from the following sources is calculated as the basic relevant social welfare rate:
Carers Allowance, Community Employment scheme, Back to Work scheme, Jobs-bridge scheme, Internships, TÙS scheme. Where the income details submitted are less than the minimum Social Welfare entitlement for the household, the rent will be assessed on the basis of basic social welfare entitlements.

Rent Calculation

A minimum rent of €15.00 applies to the first €100 of Household income per week

– Plus –

Rent is calculated at the rate of 20 cent per €1 (20%) on any Household income in excess of €100 per week,

– Less –

A deduction of €1 for each child under the age of 18 living in the household.

The maximum rent charge (including the €15 minimum rent above) is 100 per week

– Plus –

An additional charge of €15 per week for each person aged over 18 years living in the household (subsidiary earner), who has not been included in the household income calculation above. This additional charge will not apply to a person under the age of 23 in full time education. The maximum additional charge for subsidiary earners is €30 (i.e. 2 persons x €15).

Maximum and Minimum Rent
The minimum rent payable is €15 per week. The maximum rent payable in total, in respect of household income and subsidiary earners is €130 per week i.e. €100(household income rent) + €30 (for maximum of 2 subsidiary earners, i.e. 2 x €15).

In order for us to assess your rent for the relevant year we require details of your household income, this includes details of everyone residing in your property, including their date of birth and PPS number.  Evidence from the college or institution must be provided for all persons aged over 18 and under 23 in full time education. If we do not receive this information your rent will be set at €120 in respect of household income only. It is a requirement of your letting conditions to provide this information on an annual basis.

Service Charges
In some Respond properties (usually apartments) an additional Service Charge will apply.  This covers the cost of maintaining the communal areas, grounds, lifts, refuse collection etc. The Service Charge is based on the costs of running the scheme and will therefore vary between different properties. Our Resident Support Worker will be able to advise you of local charges.

Cases of Hardship
In exceptional circumstances where payment of a rent calculated under the terms above would, in the opinion of the Company give rise to hardship, the Company may agree to accept a lesser sum from a tenant for a specified period.

Respond rents are calculated with reference to the provisions of the Department of Environment, Community & Local Government, Capital Funding Schemes for the Provision of Rental Accommodation by Approved Housing Bodies (Voluntary & Co-Operative Housing) Memorandum: VHU2/02, May 2002.

There are a variety of different ways in which you can pay your rent including:

  • By standing order
  • By swipe card (through the Paypoint system available through An Post and other retail outlets. For further information on Paypoint, please visit their website)
  • By Household Budget (this is a scheme that helps those getting certain social welfare payments in Ireland to spread the cost of some household bills over the year. Under this scheme, a fixed amount is deducted from your social welfare payment each week. The scheme is operated by An Post and in order to qualify, you must be getting a certain social welfare payment and your payment must be paid through your local post office. The Household Budget Scheme is free of charge. Please ask your Resident Support Worker for further information)
  • By direct bank lodgement

No, utility bills are the responsibility of tenants.
Some tenants in our specialist housing may be eligible for rent supplement. Please contact your local Community Welfare Officer for further information.

Resident Queries

You can remain in your Respond home for as long as you wish, provided you don’t breach any of the Letting Agreements agreed to when you initially received your new home.
This depends on your initial application and will be assessed on an individual basis by Respond personnel. However, if you applied for your Respond home as part of a couple, then your home will transfer to your next of kin. It should be noted that each case is assessed individually.
Yes, simply download an application form and send it to your local office, along with a completed referees form and other relevant information.
Yes but a valid reason for wanting to transfer must be supplied. The best way to proceed is to contact your Resident Support Worker to discuss the matter further with them.
You will need to declare your partner as being a tenant. Please speak with your Resident Support Worker.

Maintenance Queries

Some Respond housing esates do incorporate service charges for the maintenance and upkeep of certain facilities (for example lifts). Tenants are informed of additional charges at the pre-tenancy stage.
Any or all changes to your home must be agreed in writing with Respond Housing Association. Any queries should be discussed with your Resident Support Worker (RSW).
What maintenance items am I responsible for as tenant of Respond Housing Association?
If you click here, there is a list of some of the items you are responsible for as a tenant. Please note this is not an exhaustive list and in some cases exceptions do apply.

Estate Queries

Anti-social Behaviour includes either or both of the following as defined in the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1997:

  • “the manufacture, production, preparation, importation, exportation, sale, supply, possession for the purpose of sale or supply, or distribution of a controlled drug (within the meaning of the Misuse of Drugs Acts 1977 and 1984)”
  • “any behaviour which causes or is likely to cause any significant or persistent danger, injurt, damage, alarm or loss or fear to any person living, working or otherwise lawfully in or in the vicinity of a house provided by a housing authority under the Housing Acts, 1966 to 2002, or Part V of the Planning and Development Act 2000, or a housing estate in which the house is situate or a site and, without prejudice to the foregoing includes:


a. Violence, threats, intimidation, coercion, harassment or serious obstruction of any person
b. Behaviour which causes any significant or persistent impairment of a person’s use or enjoyment of his or her home or
c. Damage to or defacement by writing or other marks of any property, including a person’s home

If you believe Anti Social Behaviour is taking place on your estate, you are advised to raise the matter with your Resident Support Worker. Your RSW will then explain to you the Respond Anti Social Behaviour policy and what the next steps to be taken will be.
Excessive barking which causes a nuisance to any person is an offence. In a good-neighbourly manner, let the dog’s owner know how the barking affects you. They may not have realised what was happening. If that approach fails, please speak with your Resident Support Worker who can then let you know what steps can be taken to remedy the situation.
Local Authorities have overall responsibility for monitoring noise pollution so any difficulties you are experiencing should be reported to them.