Anti Social Behaviour

Respond Housing Association is committed to the development of sustainable communities on our estates. The quiet enjoyment of their homes by our residents should not be diminished by unacceptable behaviour from others. Therefore, we will not tolerate anti-social behaviour or nuisance behaviour on our estates and we will use all remedies available to us as an Approved Housing Body (AHB) to ensure that all our residents can enjoy a good quality of life in their local community.

The objectives of our anti Social behaviour policy are:

  • To meet Respond Housing Association’s legal and moral obligations to tenants, staff, neighbours and the communities in which our estates are located
  • To promote strong communities on Respond Housing Association estates and the neighbourhoods within which they are situated
  • To protect the victim of Anti-Social Behaviour
  • To deter the aggressor

What is Anti-Social Behaviour?

Anti-social Behaviour includes either or both of the following as defined in the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1997:

  • “the manufacture, production, preparation, importation, exportation, sale, supply, possession for the purpose of sale or supply, or distribution of a controlled drug (within the meaning of the Misuse of Drugs Acts 1977 and 1984)”
  • “any behaviour which causes or is likely to cause any significant or persistent danger, injury, damage, alarm or loss or fear to any person living, working or otherwise lawfully in or in the vicinity of a house provided by a housing authority under the Housing Acts, 1966 to 2002, or Part V of the Planning and Development Act 2000, or a housing estate in which the house is situate or a site and, without prejudice to the foregoing includes:
    1. Violence, threats, intimidation, coercion, harassment or serious obstruction of any person
    2. Behaviour which causes any significant or persistent impairment of a person’s use or enjoyment of his or her home or
    3. Damage to or defacement by writing or other marks of any property, including a person’s home

Operating Principles:

The Respond Staff Procedural Manual, Tenancy Agreement and Estate Management Strategy, sets out our approach to dealing with nuisance, disputes, harassment and violence.

All Tenancy Agreements contain clauses prohibiting residents from doing or permitting tp be done anything which causes nuisance to others on the estate, including communal areas. Residents are responsible for the actions of other members of their households, including children, lodgers, visitors and animals. At the same time however it is expected and required that residents should show some measure of tolerance of other’s lifestyles.

In some cases, Respond Housing Association encourages residents to try and resolve disputes by approaching their neighbours directly, except in cases where this is clearly inappropriate.

Where other bodies have more effective powers to deal with the problem, Respond Housing Association will refer residents to them. Staff are encouraged to develop partnerships with An Garda Síochána, local offices of the Health Services Executive, Local Authorities and other statutory agencies with relevant powers or resources.

Keeping anti social behaviour out of your estate:

What can you do?

As a Tenant, you have agreed to abide by the terms of your Tenancy Agreement. This signed agreement is a legal document setting out the requirements for living within the Respond community, including the behaviour of a Tenant and members of their household. Tenants who break this agreement are subject to a range of sanctions, including an Official Warning or a Notice to Quit their Tenancy. If you are the victim of nuisance or anti-social behaviour, including threats and intimidation, by a Tenant or a member of their family or household, and this behaviour puts you in fear or danger, or causes you injury or damage,

  • You should make your complaint, in writing to your local Resident Support Worker
  • You should also contact An Garda Síochána, especially if personal assault/ injury and damage to property are involved

What happens next?

Your Resident Support Worker will take a detailed record of your complaint and explain to you what further steps may be taken in regard to your complaint. If your complaint would be likely to identify you as the person who made it, you will be consulted and asked if you would like the investigation to continue.

  • The party(ies) against whom you have made a complaint will be invited to attend an interview with the Resident Support Worker. The Resident Support Worker will then decide on the appropriate course of action to take, and you will be informed accordingly. Where the complaint relates to a neighbour dispute, it is common for both parties to be offered the option of availing of Mediation Services, before the matter is progressed under Estate Management procedures.
  • Where the alleged perpetrator is a Tenant of a neighbouring Council Estate, Respond will alert the Council’s Estate Management Service immediately and an official will make contact with the alleged perpetrator.
  • Vexatious or malicious complaints will be dealt with in the appropriate manner.

We all aim to live a peaceful and pleasant lifestyle in our home and community. The above guidelines will help us all to do just that.